SPECTACULAIR NORTHERN BEACHES
High waves, exciting hikes, daredevil surfers and breathtaking views
THE NORTHERN BEACHES
If our beaches are one of the reasons you holiday in Australia, then this 5-hour tour is for you. Sydney’s northern beaches are some of the best in the world. High surf, exhilarating walks, daredevil surfers, chic villas, breathtaking views, windswept dunes, long reefs and soft sands. Between May and November, migrating southern right whales and humpback whales add to the fun!
Cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge and you enter a world where the hustle and bustle of the Big Smoke is no longer an issue. Instead of a jumble of shoppers, commuters, taxis, bike messengers and vendors, the streets are lined with strolling mothers and seniors, seagulls and, of course, those quintessential Aussies: surfers! Nevertheless, the beaches of the north stand for relaxation and recreation and are a popular destination for many Sydneysiders not only for a day trip, but also for a weekend getaway or even a holiday. It wasn’t so long ago that for many even Manly at the entrance to Port Jackson was more of a holiday resort than a satellite town.
The itinerary in a nutshell (leaving plenty of room for surprise visits and last minute additions):
- Once we cross the Sydney Harbour Bridge, we stop at Balmoral Beach, one of the jewels of the Sydney Harbour beach scene.
- Continue over the Spit Bridge and stop at Seaforth Bluff for great views of Sydney’s central harbour.
- A relaxed drive through the southern part of Garigal National Park takes us to Middle Creek Reserve in Narrabeen. Here, with a bit of luck, we can spot kookaburra’s, pelicans and even a black-shinned cockatoo, an osprey and a goanna.
- And on we go to Palm Beach – Sydney’s northernmost beach and a popular meeting place for the rich and famous.
- From there we drive slowly south, passing a number of famous beaches: Avalon Beach, Narrabeen, Dee Why, Curl Curl and finally Manly.
- On the way we stop for short walks at Longreef (one of the most impressive beaches on Sydney’s northern peninsula with a headland and extensive reef that is a protected water reserve.), Dee Why and even for a dip in an Ocean Rock pool at Curl Curl if needed.
- Arriving in Manly, we head straight for the Manly Heads to enjoy the beautiful sunset on the short Fairfax Walk through this part of Sydney Harbour National Park.
- Then it’s time for the drive back to Sydney, and we’ll be dropped off at the hotel around 6.30am.
- Unless you want to cozy up in Manly with a beer on the beach or pier, or enjoy a nice dinner at one of the local restaurants or Aussie pubs in this former seaside resort town. The ferry from Manly back to the city runs until midnight and offers a convenient and unrivalled view of iconic Sydney sites such as the harbour, Shark Island, the Opera House and the Bridge.
The first thing I always do when I return to Sydney after a long stay in Albersdorf is to let the fine sand tickle my toes on the Northern Beaches. And I take a dip in the refreshing sea water in the beautiful rock pool at North Curl-Curl. I love that the beaches are not yet overrun with tourists. The atmosphere is so wonderfully relaxed – I get a slight culture shock every time!
Wiebe Berëza, Dingo Tours Guide
Northern Beaches with City Tour or Kuring-gai Chase NP
Our tour to the northern beaches is very self-contained and can easily be extended to an 8 -hour day tour if desired. Especially in summer it is worthwhile to explore the harbour and sea coast or to take a bath in the fresh water of the many rock pools.
The tour can also be combined with our half-day Sydney tour or with a tour to Kuring-gai Chase National Park. During the booking process, we offer you the option to extend or combine the North Beach tour (and save some money that way).
Make a full day of it
During the booking process of our half-day tour Highlights of Sydney, you have the option to book a half-day tour to Kuring-gai-Chase NP and the Northern Beaches. Both tours are highly recommended and can also be combined to a full day tour.
Half-Day City Tour
A guided city tour of Sydney is the perfect start or end to your Australian holiday. We see all the hot spots and tourist icons of the city. After the tour, you’ll probably decide to extend your stay in the most beautiful city in the world!
Ku-ring-gai Chase NP
To shake of the dust of the Big Smoke, you can’t beat a trip to the winding creeks, beaches, rainforest and eucalyptus trees, rocky cliffs and mangroves of Australia’s second oldest national park, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in Sydney’s north.